Fear is one of the emotions we discuss a lot. Nobody really likes the word or the feeling. Where as Peace, Love, Joy all seem to get a pretty positive response Fear and Anger are not so well received. And for good reason. They are both hard and difficult feelings.
And when we compare fear with anger. Fear still gets the more negative response. Why?
Because it is an emotion that we do not have control over.
Of course there are many who tout the saying: No FEAR!
No FEAR! It is the cry from the athlete. He screams as he plummets over a canyon on a bicycle, or she tumbles face first on a ski slope.
Many plaster that saying on their helmets, on their cars, their bicycles and even on their school books. I wonder sometime if the louder they scream it or pump it out the more they need to tackle it because they think it has control over them and they don't like that feeling.
Fear leaves us trembling in our shoes, with knees knocking and hearts racing.
Fear is not a desired experience unless you are in control of the situation.
Because when you are in control of the situation, is that really fear? Or is that excitement? challenge? daring?
My contention: it is NOT FEAR!
This type of 'fear' that has been manipulated and controlled as we determine when and how it is experienced is not fear.
Unfortunately true fear is something that comes without preparation.
Fear comes in the night. Fear hits us in the face when we least expect it. Fear is not planned, exciting, nor daring. Fear is frightening.
And yet, we learn in 2 Timothy that God has not given us a spirit of fear.
Instead He gives us a spirit of power, love and self-discipline.
Let's look at that passage.
" For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."
2 Timothy 1:7 NLT
So how does true fear arrive?
If God didn't give us this kind of fear, why do we have it with such strength and how does it stop us in mid air and within our tracks?
"And this is what He says to all humanity: The fear of the LORD is true wisdom; to forsake evil is real understanding." Job 28:28 [there will be more written about this in the future - stay tuned :-)]
This blog is entitled Learning How to Fear the LORD well.
I myself have come to the conclusion that if I can learn how to fear the LORD well, I will no longer deal with fear that attacks and stops me in my tracks.
Granted I am human and will continually be confronted with fear. But if I can put my trust in the God of the Universe and fear Him in the proper way, He will give me the spirit of power, love, and self-discipline.
And I will entrust Him with the outcome.
And this is the truth that we have been given in the Good News.
Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He came to save us from our sin and give us a new life in Him. And through Him we find a holy life.
Read the rest of the passage below.
8. "So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don't be ashamed of me, either, even though I'm in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News.
9. For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from the beginning of time ⏤ to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.
10. And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News.
11. And God chose me to be a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of this Good News.
12. That is why I am suffering here in this prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.
13. Hold onto the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me ⏤ a pattern shaped by the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus.
14. Through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives in us, carefully guard the precious truth that has been entrusted to you."
2 Timothy 1:7-14 NLT
This sounds incredibly simplistic. But Christ says that if we come to him like children, he will meet us where we are. Childlike simplicity.
The only people I have ever seen No Fear exhibited is in certain children. They will walk off of sofas, jump into swimming pools, walk into streets and jump into daddy's arms and fly higher than their own height with NO FEAR. Nothing but joy and giddy excitement.
I want to walk in giddy excitement with my LORD.
I want to learn how to fear Him well.
I want to gain wisdom and understanding.
I want to do all of this until the day I die.
Wanna join me?
Because He IS the I AM, i am
robyn rochelle cox
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Find out more about us by clicking: Reading, Reflection, and Bible Community
A place where people from all over the world meet daily to read the bible, reflect with thoughtful questioning and share as God leads.
In February we will be writing a weekly letter of encouragement and thought.
If you are interested in receiving that weekly email
sign up here:
RR&BC,LL© All writings are protected under copyright laws.
Contact the author or link to this page or website if you use or reference.
Robyn Rochelle Cox
WHOSE AM I?