read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Gideon Kills Zebaj and Zalmunna
Today's Passage: Judges 8:1-21
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
And What Do I Do With That?
Open your heart in prayer.
Ask God to give you wisdom from His Scripture.
Read the passage.
Re-read the passage.
Are there hard realities addressed in the passage?
Ask God to give you the ability to see people through His eyes.
Ask God to give you the ability to love people as He loves them.
Give God the permission to change your mind, your heart, and your words.
Realize that no matter where you stand, you are being molded.
Bring your heart back to the Father and pray for those you love.
Remember to thank God for His answers.
1. Then the people of Ephraim asked Gideon, "Why have you treated us this way? Why didn't you send for us when you first went out to fight the Midianites?" And they argued heatedly with Gideon
2. But Gideon replied, "What have i accomplished compared to you? Aren't even the leftover grapes of Ephraim's harvest better than the entire crop of my little clan of Ebiezer?
3. God gave you victory over Oreb and Zeeb, the commanders of the Midianite army. What have Iaccomplished compared to that?" When the men of Ephraim heard Gideon's answer, their anger subsided.
4. Gideon then crossed the Jordan River with his 300 men, and though exhausted, they continued to chase the enemy.
5. When they reached Succoth, Gideon asked the leaders of the town, "Please give my warriors some food. They are very tired. I am chasing Zebah and Zalmunna, the kings of Midian."
6. But the officials of Succoth replied, "Catch Zebah and Zalmunna first, and then we will feed your army."
7. So Gideon said, "After the LORD gives me victory over Zebah and Zalmunna, I will return and tear your flesh with the thorns and briers from the wilderness.
8. From there Gideon went up to Peniel and again asked for food, but he got the same answer.
9. So he said to the people of Peniel, "After I return in victory, I will tear down this tower."
10. By this time Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor with 15,000 warriors— all that remained of the allied armies of the east, for 120,000 had already been killed.
11. Gideon circled around by the caravan route east of Nobah and Jogbehah, taking the Midianite army by surprise.
12. Zebah and Zalmunna, the two Midianite kings, fled, but Gideon chased them down and captured all their warriors.
13. After this,, Gideon returned from the battle by way of Heres Pass.
14. There he captured a young man from Succoth and demanded that he write down the names of all the seventy-seven officials and elders in the town.
15. Gideon then returned from the battle by way of Heres Pass.
14. There he captured a young man from Succoth and demanded that he write down the naeds of all the seventy-seven officials and elders in the town.
15. Gideon then returned to Succoth and said to the leaders, "Here are Zebah and Zalmunna. When we were here before, you taunted me, saying, 'Catch Zebah and Zalmunna first, and then we will feed your exhausted army.'"
16. Then Gideon took the elders of the town and taught them a lesson, punishing them with thorns and briers from the wilderness.
17. He also tore down the tower of Peniel and killed all the men in th etown.
18. Then Gideon asked Zebah and Zalmunna, "The men you killed at Tabor — what were they like?
"Like you," they replied. "They all had the look a king's son."
19. "They were my brothers, the sons of my own mother! "Gideon exclaimed. "As surely as the LORD lives, I wouldn't kill you if you hadn't killed them"
20. Turning to Jether, his oldest son, he said, "Kill them!"But Jether did not draw his sword, for he was only a boy and was afraid.
21. Then Zebah and Zalmunna said to Gideon, "Be a man, Kill us yourself!" So Gideon killed them both and took the royal ornaments from the necks of their camels.
Judges 8:1-21 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.