read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
1. Saul Defeats the Ammonites
Today's Passage: 1 Samuel 11:1-15
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
1. About a month later, King Nahash of Amon led his army against the Israelite town of Jabesh-gilead. But all the citizens of Jabesh asked for peace." Make a treaty with us, and we will be your servants," they pleaded.
2. "All right," Nahash said, "but only on one condition. I will gouge out the right eye of everyone of you as a disgrace to all Israel!"
3. "Give us seven days to send messengers throughout Israel!" replied the elders of Jabesh. "If no one comes to save us, we will agree to your terms."
4. When the messengers came to Gibeah of Saul and told the people about their plight, everyone broke into tears.
5. Saul had been plowing a field with his oxen, and when he returned to town, he asked, "What's the matter? Why is everyone crying?" So they told him about the message from Jabesh.
6. Then the Spirit of God came powerfully upon Saul, and he became very angry.
7. He took two oxen and cut them into pieces and sent the messengers to carry them throughout Israel with this message: "This is what will happen to the oxen of anyone who refuses to follow Saul and Samuel into battle!" And the LORD made the people afraid of Saul's anger, and all of them came out together as one.
8. When Saul mobilized them at Bezek, he found that there were 300,000 men from Israel and 30,000 men from Judah.
9. So Saul sent the messengers back to Jabesh -gilead to say, "We will rescue you by noontime tomorrow!" There was great joy throughout the town when that message arrived!
10. The men of Jabesh then told their enemies, "Tomorrow we will come out to you, and you can do to us whatever you wish."
11. But before dawn the next morning, Saul arrived, having divided his army into three detachments. He launched a surprise attack against the Ammonites and slaughtered them the whole morning. The remnant of their army was so badly scattered that no two of them were left together.
12. Then the people exclaimed to Samuel, "Now where are those men who said, 'Why should Saul rule over us?' Bring them here, and we will kill them!"
13. But Saul replied, "No one will be executed today, for today the LORD has rescued Israel!"
14. Then Samuel said to the people, "Come, let us all go to Gilgal to renew the kingdom."
15. So they all went to Gilgal, and in a solemn ceremony before the LORD they made Saul king. Then they offered peace offerings to the LORD, and Saul and all the Israelites were filled with joy.
1 Samuel 11:1-15 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.