read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
A History of the Priests and Levites
Today's Passage: Nehemiah 12:1-26
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the chapter NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
2. Here is the list of the priests and Levites who returned with Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel and Jeshua the high priest:
Seraiah, Jeremiah, Ezra,
2. Amariah, Malluch, Hattush,
3. Shecaniah, Harim, Meremoth
4. Iddo, Ginnethon, Abijah,
5. Miniamin, Moadiah, Bilgah,
6. Shemaiah, Joiarib, Jedaiah,
7. Sallu, Amok, Hilkiah, and Jedaiah.
These were the leaders of the priests and their associates in the days of Jeshua.
8. The Levites who returned with them were Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel, Sherebiah, Juday and associates, Bakbukiah and Unni, stood opposite them during the service.
10. Jeshua the high priest was the father of Joiakim.
Joiakim was the father of Eliashib.
Eliashib was the father of Joiada.
11. Joiada was the father of Johanan.
Johanan was the father of Jaddua.
12. Now when Joiakim was high priest, the family leaders of the priests were as follows:
Meraiah was leader of the family of Seraiah.
Hananiah was leader of the family of Jeremiah.
13. Meshullam was leader of the family of Ezra.
Jehohanan was leader of the family of Amariah.
14. Jonathan was leader of the family of Malluch.
Joseph was leader of the family of Shecaniah.
15. Adna was leader of the family of Harim.
Helkai was leader of the family of Meremoth.
16. Zechariah was leader of the family of Iddo.
Meshullam was leader of the family of Ginnethon.
17. Zicri was leader of the family of Abijah.
There was also a leader of the family of Miniamin.
Piltai was leader of the family of Moadiah.
18. Shammua was the leader of the family of Bilgah.
Jehonathan was leader of the family of Shemaiah.
19. Mattenai was leader of the family of Joiarib.
Uzzi was leader of the family of Jedaiah.
20. Kallai was leader of the family of Sallu.
Eber was leader of the family of Amok.
21. Hashabiah was leader of the family of Hilkiah.
Nethanel was leader of the family of Jedaiah.
22. A record of the Levite families was kept during the years when Eliashib, Joiada, Johanan, and Jaddua served as high priest. Another record of the priests was kept during the reign of Darius the Persian.
23. A record of the heads of Levite families was kept in The Book of History down to the days of Johanan the grandson of Eliashib.
24. These were the family leaders of the Levites: Hashabiah, Sherebiah, Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel, and other associates, who stood opposite them during the ceremonies of praise and thanksgiving, one section responding to the other, as commanded by David, the man of God.
25. This included Mattaniah, Bakbukiah, and Obadiah.
Meshullam, Talmon, and Akkub were the gatekeepers in charge of the storerooms at the gates.
26. These all served in the days of Joiakim son of Jeshua, son of Jehoadak, and in the days of Nehemiah the governor and of Ezra the priest and scribe.
Nehemiah 12:1-26 NLT
This was a hard text to post.
I know that we have had some really tough passages the last few times.
But, I promised that whatever verse came next to me, was what I would post.
I have also been tracking to make sure that we don't review a verse. The first month, I wasn't so aware that could happen so easily.
What does that tell me?
It tells me that often we skim through and/or remove ourselves from the
less than encouraging passages of the Bible.
And yet God gave them to us.
I believe that we are blessed when we forge forward, read and contemplate even the verses we don't like.
I encourage you to read through the names and set them aside.
Pick out the other words that surround the names.
And focus on the words that are giving instruction.
Have a blessed day!
You placed these verses in your word for a purpose.
Please help us see your purpose for these.
In your name
Please leave your name and your last initial.
So good to have you here today.
Problems? Please contact Biff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free at anytime. Simply write Unsubscribe on the subject line of an email: email@example.com
RR&BC, LLC©2016 All writing is protected under copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.