read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
1. The Birth of Ishmael
Today's Passage: Genesis 16:1-16
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
Cause and Effect
1. Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had not been able to bear children for him. But she had an Egyptian servant named Hagar.
2. So Sarai said to Abram, "The LORD has prevented me from having children. Go and sleep with my servant. Perhaps I can have children through her." And Abram agreed with Sarai's proposal,
3. So Sarai, Abram's wife took Hagar the Egyptian servant and gave her to Abram as a wife (This happened ten years after Abram had settled in the land of Canaan.
4. So Abram had sexual relations with Hagar, and she became pregnant. But when Hagar knew she was pregnant, she began to treat her mistress, Sarai, with contempt.
5. Then Sarai said to Abram, "This is all your fault! I put my servant into your arms but now that she's pregnant she treats me with contempt. The LORD will show who's wrong — you or me!"
6. Abram replied, "Look she is your servant, so deal with her as you see fit." Then Sarai treated Hagar so harshly that she finally ran away.
7. The angel of the LORD found Hagar beside a spring of water in the wilderness, along the road to Shur.
8. The angel said to her, "Hagar, Sarai's servant, where have you come from, and where are you going?"
"I'm running away from my mistress, Sarai," she replied.
9. The angel of the LORD said to her, "Return to your mistress, and submit to her authority."
10. Then he added, "I will give you more descendants than you can count."
`11. And the angel also said, "You are now pregnant and will give birth to a son. You are to name him Ishmael (which means 'God hears'), for the LORD has heard your cry of distress.
12. This son of yours will be a wild man, as untamed as a wild donkey! He will raise his fist against everyone, and everyone will be against him. Yes, he will live in open hostility against all his relatives."
13. Thereafter, Hagar used another name to refer to the LORD, who had spoken to her. She said, "You are the God who sees me." She also said, "Have I truly seen the One who sees me?"
14. So that well was named Beer-lahai-roi (which means "well of the LIving One who sees me?). It can still be found between Kadesh and Bered.
15. So Hagar gave Abram a son, and Abram named him Ishmael.
16. Abram was eighty-six years old when Ishmael was born.
Genesis 16:1-16 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.