read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
1. Abraham Intercedes for Sodom
Today's Passage: Genesis 18:16-33
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
Repeating Sentences or Themes in the Text
16.Then the men got up from their meal and looked out toward Sodom, As they left, Abraham went with them to send them on their way.
17. "Should I hide my plan from Abraham?" the LORD asked.
18. "For Abraham will certainly become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him.
19. I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised."
20. So the LORD told Abraham "I have heard a great outcry from Sodom and Gomorrah, because their sin is so flagrant.
21. I am going down to see if their actions are as wicked as I have heard. If not, I want to know."
22. The other men turned and headed toward Sodom, but the LORD remained with Abraham.
23. Abraham approached him and said, "Will you sweep away both the righteous and the wicked?
24. Suppose you find fifty people living there in the city — will you still sweep it away and not spare it for their sakes?
25. Surely you would not do such a thing, destroying the righteous and the wicked exactly the same!" Should not the Judge of all the earth do what is right?"
26. And the LORD replied, "If I find fifty righteous people in Sodom, I will spare the entire city for their sake."
27. Then Abraham spoke again. "Since I have begun, let me speak further to my Lord, even though I am but dust and ashes.
28. Suppose there are only forty-five righteous people there. rather than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five?"
And the LORD said, "I will not destroy it if I find forty-five righteous people there."
29. Then Abraham pressed his request further. "Suppose there are only forty?"
And the LORD replied, "I will not destroy it for the sake of the forty."
30. Please don't be angry, my LORD," Abraham pleaded. "Let me speak — suppose only thirty righteous people are found.
And the LORD replied, "I will not destroy it if I find thirty."
31. Then Abraham said, "Since I have dared to speak to the LORD, let me continue — suppose there are only twenty?"
And the LORD replied, "Then I will not destroy it for the sake of the twenty."
32. Finally, Abraham said, "Lord, please don't be angry with me if I speak one more time. Suppose only ten are found there?"
And the LORD replied, "Then I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten."
33. When the LORD had finished his conversation with Abraham, he went on his way, and Abraham returned to his tent.
Genesis 18:16-33 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.