read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
1. Elijah Take Into Heaven
Today's Passage: 2 Kings 2:1-18
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
Repeating Sentences or Themes in the Text
1. When the LORD was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were traveling from Gilgal.
2. And Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here, for the LORD has told me to go to Bethel."
But Elisha replied, "As surely as the LORD lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you!" so they went down together to Bethel.
3. The group of prophets from Bethel came to Elisha and asked him, "Did you know that the LORD is going to take your master away from you today?"
"Of course I know," Elisha answered , "But be quiet about it."
4. Then Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here, for the LORD has told me to go to Jericho."
But Elisha replied again, "As surely as the LORD lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you!" So they went on together to Jericho.
5. Then the group of prophets from Jericho came to Elisha and asked him, "Did you know that the LORD is going to take your master away from you today."
6. Then Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here, for the LORD has told me to go to the Jordan River."
But again Elisha replied, "As surely as the LORD lives and you yourself live, I will never leave you." So they went on together.
7. Fifty men from the group of prophets also went and watched from a distance as Elijah and Elisha stopped beside the Jordan River.
8. Then Elijah folded his cloak together and struck the water with it. The river divided, and the two of them went across on dry ground!
9. When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me what I can do for you before I am taken away."
And Elisha replied, "Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit and become your successor."
10. "You have asked a difficult thing," Elijah replied. "If you see me when I am taken from you, then you will get your request. But if not, then you won't."
11. As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.
12. Elisha saw it and cried out, "My father! My father! I see the chariots and charioteers of Israel!" And as they disappeared from sight, Elisha tore his clothes in distress.
13. Elisha picked up Elijah's cloak, which had fallen when he was taken up. Then Elisha returned to the bank of the Jordan River.
14. He struck the water with Elijah's cloak and cried out, "Where is the LORD, the God of Elijah?" Then the river divided, and Elisha went across.
15. When the group of prophets from Jericho saw from a distance what happened, they exclaimed, "Elijah's spirit rests upon Elisha!" And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him.
16. "Sir," they said, "just say the word and fifty of our strongest men will search the wilderness for your master. Perhaps the Spirit of the LORD has left him on some mountain or in some valley."
"No," Elisha said, "don't send them."
17. But they kept urging him until they shamed him into agreeing, and he finally said, "Allright, send them." So fifty men searched for three days but did not find Elijah
18. Elisha was still at Jericho when they returned. "Didn't I tell you not go?" he asked.
2 Kings 2:1-18
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.