read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
1. Elisha and the Shunammite Woman — 2 Kings 4:8-37
Today's Passage: 2 Kings 4:8-37
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading and ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
It is okay, He knows it anyway. Bring it to Him and ask Him for help, remember you are already forgiven, as Him to help you as you embrace that truth and live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
8. One day Elisha went to the town of Shunem. A wealthy woman lived there, and she urged him to come to her home for a meal. After that, whenever he passed that way, he would stop there for something to eat.
9. She said to her husband, "I am sure this man who stops in from time to time is a holy man of God.
10. Let's build a small room for him on the roof and furnish it with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp. Then he will have a place to stay whenever he comes by."
11. One day Elisha returned to Shunem, and he went up to this upper room to rest.
12. He said to his servant Gehazi, "Tell the woman from Shunem I want to speak to her."
When she appeared,
13. Elisha said to Gehazi, "Tell her, 'We appreciate the kind concern you have shown us. What can we do for you? Can we put in a good word for you to the king or to the commander of the army?'"
"No," she replied, "my family takes good care of me."
1. Later Elisha asked Gehazi, "What can we do for her?"
Gehazi replied, "She doesnt have a son, and her husband is an old man."
15. "Call her back again," Elisha told him. When the woman returned, Elisha said to her as she stood in the doorway,
16. "Next year at this time you will be holding a son in your arms!"
"No, my lord!" she cried. "O man of God, don't deceive me and get my hopes up like that."
17. But sure enough, the woman soon became pregnant. And at that time the following year she had a son, just as Elisha had said.
18. One day when her child was older, he went out to help his father, who was working with the harvesters.
19. Suddenly he cried out, "My head hurts! My head hurts!"
His father said to one of the servants, "Carry him home to his mother."
20. So the servant took him home, and his mother held him on her lap. But around noontime he died.
21. She carried him up and laid him on the bed of the man of God, then shut the door and left him there.
22. She sent a message to her husband: "Send one of the servants and a donkey so that I can hurry to the man of God and come right back."
23. Why go today? he asked. "It is neither a new moon festival nor a Sabbath."
But she said, "It will be all right.."
24. So she saddled the donkey and said to the servant, "Hurry! Don't slow down unless i tell you to."
25. As she approached the man of God at Mount Carmel, Elisha saw her in the distance. He said to Gehazi, "Look, the woman from Shunem is coming.
26. Run out to meet her and ask her, 'Is everything all right with you, your husband, and your child?'"
"Yes," the woman told Gehazi, "everything is fine."
27. But when she came to the man of God at the mountain, she fell to the ground before him and caught hold of his feet. Gehazi began to push her away, but the man of God said, "Leave her alone. She is deeply troubled, but the LORD has not told me what it is."
28. Then she said, "Did I ask you for a son, my lord? And didn't I say, 'Don't deceive me and get my hopes up'?"
29. Then Elisha said to Gehazi, "Get ready to travel; take my staff and go! Don't talk to anyone along the way. Go quickly and lay the staff on the child's face."
30. But the boy's mother said, "As surely as the LORD lives and you yourself live, I won't go home unless you go with me." So Elisha returned with her.
31. Gehazi hurried on ahead and laid the staff on the child's face, but nothing happened. There was no sign of life. He returned to meet Elisha and told him, "The child is still dead."
32. When Elisha arrived, the child was indeed dead, lying there on the prophet's bed.
33. He went in alone and shut the door behind him and prayed to the LORD.
34. Then he lay down on the child's body, placing his mouth on the child's mouth, his eyes on the child's eyes, and his hands on the child's hands. And as he stretched out on him, the child's body began to grow warm again!
35. Elisha got up, walked back and forth across the room once, and then stretched himself out again on the child. This time the boy sneezed seven times and opened his eyes!
36. Then Elisha summoned Gehazi. "Call the child's mother!" he said. And when she came in, Elisha said, "Here, take your son!"
37. She fell at his feet and bowed before him, overwhelmed with gratitude. Then she took her son in her arms and carried him downstairs.
2 Kings 4:8-37 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and any comments even a period lets us know you were here. Any response is a blessing to this community.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.