read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Sodom Gomorrah Destroyed
Today's Passage: Genesis 19:1-29
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading and ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
It is okay, He knows it anyway. Bring it to Him and ask Him for help, remember you are already forgiven, as Him to help you as you embrace that truth and live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
1. That evening the two angels came to the entrance of the city of Sodom. Lot was sitting there, and when he saw them, he stood up to meet them. Then he welcomed them and bowed with his face to the ground.
2. "My lords," he said, "come to my home to wash your feet, and by my guests for the night. You may then get up early in the morning and be on your way again."
"Oh no," they replied, "We'll just spend the night out here in the city square."
3. But Lot insisted, so at last they went home with him. Lot prepared a feast for them, complete with fresh bread made without yeast, and they ate.
4. But before they retired for the night, all the men of Sodom, young and old, came from all over the city and surrounded the house.
5. They shouted to Lot, "Where are the men who came to spend the night with you? Bring them out to us so we can have sex with them!"
6. So Lot stepped outside to talk to them, shutting the door behind him.
7. "Please, my brothers, " he begged, "don't do such a wicked thing.
8. Look, I have two virgin daughters. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do with them as you wish. But please, leave these men alone, for they are my guests and are under my protection."
9. "Stand back!" they shouted, "This fellow came to town as an outsider, and now he's acting like our judge! We'll treat you far worse than those other men!" And they lunged toward Lot to break down the door.
10. But the two angels reached out, pulled Lot into the house, and bolted the door.
11. Then they blinded all the men, young and old, who were at the door of the house, so they gave up trying to get inside.
12. Meanwhile, the angels questioned Lot. "Do you have any other relatives here in the city?" they asked. "Get them out of this place — your sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone else.
13. For we are about to destroy this city completely. The outcry against this place is so great it has reached the LORD, and he has sent us to destroy it.
14. So Lot rushed out to tell his daughters' fiancés, "Quick get out of the city! The LORD is about to destroy it." But the young men thought he was only joking.
15. At dawn the next morning the angels became insistent. "Hurry," they said to Lot. "Take your wife and your two daughers who are here. Get out right now, or you will be swept away in the destruction of the city!"
16. When Lot still hesitated, the angels seized his hand and the hands of his wife and two daughters and rushed them to safety outside the city, for the LORD was merciful.
17. When they were safely out of the city, one of the angels ordered, "Run for your lives! And don't look back or stop anywhere in the valley! Escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away!"
18. "Oh no, my lord!" Lot begged,
19. "You have been so gracious to me and saved my life, and you have shown such great kindness. But I cannot go to the mountains. Disaster would catch up to me there, and I would soon die.
20. See, there is a small village nearby. Please let me go there instead; don't you see how small it is? Then my life will be saved."
21. "All right," the angel said, "I will grant your request I will not destroy the little village
22. But hurry! Escape to it, for I can do nothing until you arrive there." (This explains why that village was known as Zoar, which means "little place.")
23. Lot reached the village just as the sun was rising over the horizon.
24. Then the LORD rained down fire and burning sulfur from the sky on Sodom and Gomorrah.
25. He utterly destroyed them, along with the other cities and villages of the plain, wiping out all the people and every bit of vegetation.
26. But Lot's wife looked back as she was following behind him, and she turned into a pillar of salt.
27. Abraham got up early that morning and hurried out to the place where he had stood in the LORD'S presence.
28. He looked out across the plain toward Sodom ad Gomorrah and watched as columns of smoke rose from the cities like smoke from a furnace.
29. But God had listened to Abraham's request and kept Lot safe, removing him from the disaster that engulfed the cities on the plain.
Genesis 19:1-29 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (3 in 1) for meeting you today.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and any comments even a period lets us know you were here. Any response is a blessing to this community.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
typing, reading, or commenting.
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.