read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Abraham Deceives Abimelech
Today's Passage: Genesis 20:1-17
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading and ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
It is okay, He knows it anyway. Bring it to Him and ask Him for help, remember you are already forgiven, as Him to help you as you embrace that truth and live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
Meditation in WORSHIP
God is able to speak to us through those words that we read and reread, as we think about what we have read and ponder those words infiltrate our minds and change us. They give us a better understanding of what God is saying in His word. Through that better understanding we begin to think differently, and our attitudes and lives change. Even our actions toward ourselves, others and the world change to be more Christlike.
And isn't that what Christians desire? To be Christ like. To be Christ followers. To know God.
With these precepts or tenets in place, let us begin with WORSHIP.
1. Abraham moved south to the Negev and lived for a while between Kadesh and Shur, and then he moved on to Gerar. While living there as a foreigner,
2. Abraham introduced his wife, Sarah, by saying. "She is my sister." So King Abimelech of Gerar sent for Sarah and had her brought to him at his palace.
3. But that night God came to Abimelech in a dream and told him, " You are a dead man, for that woman you have taken I already married!"
4. But Abimelech had not slept with her yet, so he said, "LORD, will you destroy an innocent nation?
5. Didn't Abraham tell me, 'She is my sister'? And she herself said, 'Yes, he is my brother.' I acted in complete innocence! My hands are clean."
6. In the dream God responded, "Yes, I know you are innocent. That's why I kept you from sinning against me, and why I did not let you touch her.
7. Now return the woman to her husband, and he will pray for you, for he is a prophet. Then you will live. But if you don't return her to him, you can be sure that you and all your people will die."
8. Abimelech got up early the next morning and quickly called all his servants together. When he told them what had happened, his men were terrifed.
9. Then Abimelech called for Abraham. "What have you done to us?" he demanded. "What crime have I committed that deserves treatments like this making me and my kingdom guilty of this great sin? No one should ever do what you have done!
10. Whatever possessed you to do such a thing?"
11. Abraham replied, "I thought, 'This is a godless place. They will want my wife and will kill me to get her.'
12. And she really is my sister, for we both have the same father, but different mothers. And I married her.
13. When God called me to leave my father's home and to travel from place to place, I told her, 'Do me a favor. Wherever we go, tell the people that I am your brother.'"
14. Then Abimelech took some of his sheep and goats, cattle, and male and female servants, and he presented them to Abraham. He also returned his wife, Sarah, to him.
15. Then Abimelech said, "Look over my land and choose anyplace where you would like to live."
16. And he said to Sarah, "Look, I am giving your 'brother' 1,000 pieces of silver in the presence of all these witnesses. This is to compensate you for any wrong I may have done to you. This will settle any claim against me, and your reputation is cleared."
17. Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife, and his female servants, so they could have children.
18. For the LORD had caused all the women to be infertile because of what happened with Abraham's wife, Sarah.
Genesis 20:1-18 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and any comments even a period lets us know you were here. Any response is a blessing to this community.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.