read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Hagar and Ishmael Are Sent Away
Today's Passage: Genesis 23:1-20
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading and ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
It is okay, He knows it anyway. Bring it to Him and ask Him for help, remember you are already forgiven, as Him to help you as you embrace that truth and live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
1. When Sarah was 127 years old, she died at Kiriath-arba (now called Hebron) in the land of Canaan. There Abraham mourned and wept for her.
3. Then, leaving her body, he said to the Hittite elders,
4. "Here I am, a stranger and a foreigner among you. Please sell me a piece of land, so I can give my wife a proper burial."
5. The Hittites replied to Abraham,
6. "Listen, my lord, you are an honored prince among us. Choose the finest of our tombs and bury her there. No one here will refuse to help you in this way."
7. Then Abraham bowed low before the Hittites and said,
8. "Since you are willing to help me in this way, be so kind as to ask Ephron son of Zohar
9. to let me buy his cave at Machpelah, down at the end of his field. I will pay the full price in the presence of witnesses, so I will have a permanent burial place for my family."
10. Ephron was sitting there among the others, and he answered Abraham as the others listened, speaking publicly before all the Hittite elders of the town.
11. "No, my lord," he said to Abraham, "please listen to me. I will give you the field and the cave. Here in the presence of my people, I give it to you. Go and bury your dead."
12. Abraham again bowed low before the citizens of the land,
13. and he replied to Ephron as everyone listened. "No, listen to me. I will buy it from you. Let me pay the full price for the field so I can bury my dead there."
14. Ephron answered Abraham,
15. "My lord, please listen to me. The land is worth 400 pieces of silver, but what is that between friends? Go ahead and bury your dead."
16. So Abraham agreed to Ephron's price and paid the amount he had suggested — 400 pieces of silver, weighed according to the market standard. The Hittite elders witnessed the transaction.
17. So Abraham bought the plot of land belonging to Ephron at Machpelah, near Memre. This included the field itself, the cave that was in it, and all the surrounding trees.
18. It was transferred to Abraham as his permanent possession in the presence of the Hittite elders at the city gate.
19. Then Abraham buried his wife, Sarah, there in Canaan, in the cave of Machpelah, near Memre (also called Hebron).
20. So the field and the cave were transferred from the Hittites to Abraham for use as a permanent burial place.
Genesis 23:1-20 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and any comments even a period lets us know you were here. Any response is a blessing to this community.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.