read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
A Wife for Isaac
Today's Passage: Genesis 24: 1-20
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading and ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
It is okay, He knows it anyway. Bring it to Him and ask Him for help, remember you are already forgiven, as Him to help you as you embrace that truth and live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
1. Abraham was now a very old man, and the LORD had blessed him in every way.
2. One day Abraham said to his oldest servant, the man in charge of his household, "Take an oath by putting your hand under my thigh.
3. Swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and earth that you will not allow my son to marry one of these local Canaanite women.
4. Go instead to my homeland, to my relatives, and find a wife for my son Isaac."
5. The servant asked, "But what if I can't find a young woman who is willing to travel so far from home? Should I then take Isaac there to live among your relatives in the land you came from?"
6. "No!" Abraham responded. "Be careful never to take my son there.
7. For the LORD, the God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and my native land, solemnly promised to give this land to my descendants. He will send has angel ahead of you, and he will see to it that you find a wife there for my son.
8. If she is unwilling to come back with you, then you are free from this oath of mine. But under no circumstances are you to take my son there."
9. So the servant took an oath by putting his hand under the thigh of his master, Abraham. He swore to follow Abraham's instructions.
10. Then he loaded ten of Abraham's camels with all kinds of expensive gifts from his master, and he traveled to distant Aram-naharaim. There he went to the town where Abraham's brother Nahor had settled.
11. He made the camels kneel beside a well just outside the town. It was evening, and the women were coming out to draw water.
12. "O LORD, God of my master, Abraham," he prayed, "Please give me success today, and show unfailing love to my master, Abraham.
13. See, I am standing here beside this spring, and the young women of the town are coming out to draw water.
14. This is my request. I will ask one of them, 'Please give me a drink from your jug.' If she says, 'Yes, have a drink, and I will water your camels, too!' — let her be the one you have selected as Isaac's wife. This is how I will know that you have shown unfailing love to my master."
15. Before he had finished praying, he saw a young woman named Rebekah coming out with her water jug on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel, who was the son of Abraham's brother Nahor and his wife, Milcah.
16. Rebekah was very beautiful and old enough to be married, but she was still a virgin. She went down to the spring, filled her jug, and came up again.
17. Running over to her, the servant said, "Please give me a little drink of water from your jug."
18. "Yes, my lord," she answered, "Have a drink." And she quickly lowered her jug from her shoulder and gave him a drink.
19. When she had given him a drink, she said, "I'll draw water for your camels, too, until they have had enough to drink."
20. So she quickly emptied her jug into the watering trough and ran back to the well to draw water for all his camels.
Genesis 24:1-20 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and any comments even a period lets us know you were here. Any response is a blessing to this community.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.