read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Paul and Silas in Prison
Today's Passage: Acts 16:16-40
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading. Ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
He knows it. You are forgiven.
Ask Him to help you embrace that truth to live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
© RR&BC, LLC 2020
16. One day as we were going down to the place of prayer, we met a demon-possessed slave girl. She was a fortuneteller who earned a lot of money for her masters.
17. She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, "these men are servants of the Most High God, and they have come to tell you how to be saved."
18. This went on day after day until Paul got so exasperated that he turned and said to the demon within her, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her," And instantly it left her.
19. Her masters' hopes of wealth were now shattered, so they grabbed Paul and Silas and dragged them before the authorities at the marketplace.
20. "The whole city is in an uproar because of these Jews!" they shouted to the city officials.
21. "They are teaching customs that are illegal for us Romans to practice."
22. A mob quickly formed against Paul and Silas, and the city officials ordered them stripped and beaten with wooden rods.
23. They were severely beaten, and then they were thrown into prison. The jailer was ordered to make sure they didn't escape.
24. So the jailer put them into the inner dungeon and clamped their feet in the stocks.
25. Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening.
26. Suddenly there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off!
17. The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself.
28. But Pul shouted to him, "Stop! Don't kill yourself! We are all here!"
29. The jailer called for lights and ran to the dungeon and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas.
30. Then he brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
31. They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household."
32. And they shared the word of hate Lord with him and with all who lived in his household.
33. Even at that hour of the night, the jailer cared for them and washed their wounds. Then he and everyone in his household were immediately baptized.
34. He brought them into his house and set a meal before them, and he and his entire household rejoiced because they all believed in God.
35. The next morning the city officials sent the police to tell the jailer, "Let those men go!"
36. So the jailer told Paul, "The city officials have said you and Silas are free to leave. Go in peace."
37. But Paul replied, "They have publicly beaten us without a trial and put us in prison — and we are Roman citizens. So now they want us to leave secretly? Certainly not! Let them come themselves to release us!"
38. When the police reported this, the city officials were alarmed to learn that Paul and Silas were Roman citizens.
39. So they came to the jail and apologized to them. Then they brought them out and begged them to leave the city.
40. When Paul and Silas left the prison, they returned to the home of Lydia. There they met with believers and encouraged them once more. Then they left town.
Acts 16:16-40 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
We, Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your first name and last initial.
Any comments even a period says you were here.
Any response is a blessing to this community.
You are prayed for every day at 8:00 am EST
And I will be back here tomorrow,
typing, reading, preparing, or commenting.
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.