read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Riot in Ephesus
Today's Passage: Acts 19:23-41
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading. Ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
He knows it. You are forgiven.
Ask Him to help you embrace that truth to live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
God uses story to prepare our hearts for truth.
© RR&BC, LLC 2020
23. About that time, serious trouble developed in Ephesus concerning the Way.
24. It began with Demetrius, a silversmith who had a large business manufacturing silver shrines of the Greek goddess Artemis. He kept many craftsmen busy.
25. He called them together, along with others employed in similar trades, and addressed them as follows.
"Gentlemen, you now that our wealth comes from this business.
26. But as you have seen and heard, this man Paul has persuaded many people that handmade gods aren't really gods at all. And he's done this not only here in Ephesus but throughout the entire province!
27. Of course, I'm not just talking about the loss of public respect for our business. I'm also concerned that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will lose its influence and that Artemis — this magnificent goddess worshiped throughout the province of Asia and all around the world — will be robbed of her great prestige!"
28. At this their anger boiled, and they began shouting, "Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!"
29. Soon the whole city was filled with confusion. Everyone rushed to the amphitheater, dragging along Gaius and Aristarchus, who were Paul's traveling companions from Macedonia.
30. Paul wanted to go in, too, but the believers wouldn't let him.
31. Some of the officials of the province, friends of Paul, also sent a message to him, begging him not to risk his life by entering the ampitheater.
32. Inside, the people were all shouting, some one thing and some another. Everything was in confusion. In fact, most of them didn't even know why they were there.
33. The Jews in the crowd pushed Alexander forward and told him to explain the situation. He motioned for silence and tried to speak.
34. But when the crowd realized he was a Jew, they started shouting again and kept it up for two hours. "Great is Artemis of the Ephesians! Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!"
35. At last the mayor was able to quiet them down enough to speak. "Citizens of Ephesus," he said. "Everyone knows that Ephesus is the official guardian of the temple of the great Artemis, whose image fell down from heaven.
36. Since this is an undeniable fact, you should stay calm and not do anything rash.
37. You have brought these men here, but they have stolen nothing from the temple and have not spoken against our goddess.s.
38. "If Demetrius and the craftsmen have a case against them, the courts are in session and officials can hear the case at once. Let them make formal charges.
39. And if there are complaints about other matters, they can be settled in a legal assembly.
40. I am afraid we are in danger of being charged with rioting by the Roman government, since there is no cause for all this commotion. And if Rome demands an explanation, we won't know what to say."
41. Then he dismissed them, and they dispersed.
Acts 19:23-41 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
We, Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your first name and last initial.
Any comments even a period says you were here.
Any response is a blessing to this community.
You are prayed for every day at 8:00 am EST
And I will be back here tomorrow,
typing, reading, preparing, or commenting.
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.