read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Samuel Anoints David as King
Today's Passage: 1 Samuel 16:1-13
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading. Ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
He knows it. You are forgiven.
Ask Him to help you embrace that truth to live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
© RR&BC, LLC 2020
1. Now the LORD said to Samuel, "You have mourned long enough for Saul. I have rejected him as king of Israel, so fill you flask with olive oil and go to Bethlehem. Find a man named Jesse who lives there, for I have selected one of his sons to be my king."
2. But Samuel asked, "How can I do that? If Saul hears about it, he will kill me."
"Take a heifer with you," The LORD replied, "and say that you have come to make a sacrifice to the LORD.
3. Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you which of his sons to anoint for me."
4. So Samuel did as the LORD instructed. When he arrived at Bethlehem, the elders of the town came trembling to meet him. "What's wrong?" they asked. "Do you come in peace?"
5. "Yes," Samuel replied. "I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Purify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice." Then Samuel performed the purification rite for Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice, too.
6. When they arrived, Samuel took one look at Eliab and thought, "Surely this is the LORD'S anointed!"
7. But the LORD said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance of height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
8. Then Jesse told his son Abinadab to step forward and walk in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, "This is not the one the LORD has chosen."
9. Next Jesse summoned Shimea, but Samuel said, "Neither is this the one the LORD has chosen."
10. In the same way all seven of Jesse's sons were presented to Samuel. But Samuel said to Jesse, "The LORD has not chosen any of these."
11. Then Samuel asked, "Are these all the sons you have?"
"There is still one, the youngest," Jesse replied. "But he's out in the fields watching the sheep and goats."
"Send for him at once." Samuel said. "We will sit down to eat until he arrives."
12. So Jesse sent for him. He was dark and handsome with beautiful eyes.
and the LORD said, "This is the one; anoint him."
13. So as David stood there among his brothers, Samuel took the flask of olive oil he had brought and anointed David with the oil. And the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David from that day on. Then Samuel returned to Ramah.
1 Samuel 16:1-13 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
We, Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your first name and last initial.
Any comments even a period says you were here.
Any response is a blessing to this community.
You are prayed for every day at 8:00 am EST
And I will be back here tomorrow,
typing, reading, preparing, or commenting.
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.