read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
David Marries Saul's Daughter
Today's Passage: 1 Samuel 18:17-30
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Invite God to join you in your reading. Ask Him for wisdom.
If there is anything in your spirit hindering you, confess it now.
He knows it. You are forgiven.
Ask Him to help you embrace that truth to live it out.
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you, Omnipotent God for insight.
God uses characters and jobs in stories to prepare our hearts for truth.
© RR&BC, LLC 2020
17. One day Saul said to David, "I am ready to give you my older daughter Merab, as your wife. But first you must prove yourself to be a real warrior by fighting the LORD'S battles." For Saul thought, "I'll send him out against the Philistines and let him them kill him rather than doing it myself."
18. "Who am I, and what is my family in Israel that I should be a king' son-in-law?" David exclaimed. "My father's family is nothing!"
19. So when the time came for Saul to give his daughter Merab in marriage to David, he gave her instead to Adriel, a man from Meholah.
20. In the meantime, Saul's daughter Michal had fallen in love with David, and Saul was delighted when he heard about it.
21. "Here's another chance to see him killed by the Philistines!" Saul said to himself. But to David he said, "Today you have a second chance to become my son-in-law!"
22. Then Saul told his men to say to David. "The king really likes you, and so do we. Why don't you accept the king's offer and become his son-in-law?"
23. When Saul's men said these things to David, he replied, "How can a poor man from a humble family afford the bride price for the daughter of a king?"
24. When Saul's men reported this back to the king,
25. he told them, "Tell David that all I wnat for the bride price is 100 Philistine foreskins! Vengeance on my enemies is all I really want." But what Saul had in mind was that David would be killed in the fight.
26. David was delighted to accept the offer. Before the time limit expired,
27. he and his men went out and killed 200 Philistines. Then David fulfilled the kinig's requirement by presenting all the foreskins to him. So Saul gave his daughter Michal to David to be his wife.
28. When Saul realized the that LORD was with David and how much his daughter Michal loved him,
29. Saul became even more afraid of him, and he reamained David's enemy for the rest of his life.
30. Every time the commanders of the Philistines attacked, David was more successful against them than all the rest of Saul's officers. So David's name became very famous.
1 Samuel 18:17-30 NLT
Thank God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for meeting you today.
We, Robyn and Biff
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your first name and last initial.
Any comments even a period says you were here.
Any response is a blessing to this community.
You are prayed for every day at 8:00 am EST
And I will be back here tomorrow,
typing, reading, preparing, or commenting.
I hope I will see you here too.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.