read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Lovers Speak
Today's Passage: Song of Songs 8:1-14
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
(An aside: This book is read to commemorate the Grain Harvest at Passover and to celebrate the Exodus from Egypt. At one time if this books words were sung in any way inappropriate or defiling in any way in moral debauchery, people were sent to jail.
Making it clear to us today, these words are holy.)
1. Oh, I wish you were my brother, who nursed at my mother's breasts.
Then I could kiss you no matter who was watching, and no one would criticize me.
2. I would bring you to my childhood home, and there you would teach me.
I would give you spiced wine to drink, my sweet pomegranate wine.
3. Your left arm would be under my head, and your right arm would embrace me.
4. Promise me, O women of Jerusalem, not to awaken love until the time is right.
Young Women of Jerusalem
5. Who is this sweeping in from the desert, leaning on her lover?
I aroused you under the apple tree, where your mother gave you birth,
where in great pain she delivered you.
6. Place me like a seal over our heart, like a seal on your arm.
For love is as strong as death, its jealousy as enduring as the grave.
Love flashes like fie, the brightest kind of flame.
7. Many waters cannot quench love, nor can rivers drown it.
If a man tried to buy love with all his wealth, his offer would be utterly scorned.
The Young Woman's Brothers
8. We have a little sister too young to have breasts.
What will we do for our sister if someone asks to marry her?
9. If she is a virgin, like a wall, we will protect her with a silver tower.
But if she is promiscuous, like a swinging door,
we will block her door with a cedar bar.
10. I was a virgin, like a wall; now my breasts are like towers.
When my lover looks at me, he is delighted with what he sees.
11. Solomon has a vineyard at Baal-hamon, which he leases out to tenant farmers.
Each of them pays a thousand pieces of silver for harvesting its fruit.
12. But my vineyard is mine to give, and Solomon need not pay a thousand pieces of silver.
13. O my darling, lingering in the gardens your companions are fortunate to hear your voice.
Let me hear it, too!
14. Come away, my love! Be like a gazelle or a young stag on the mountains of spices.
Song of Songs 8:1-14 NLT
What do you think?
This is the last chapter of the Song of Songs.
What do you think?
Have you learned something new about the bible?
What have you come away with from this lyrical book of poetry?
Do you consider this a physical relationship between a woman and a man?
Or do you find it an allegory between Christ (the bridegroom) and
the Church (the bride of Christ)?
Or is it both?
We come to you because we don't have all the answers.
Only You do.
Let us hold this book in our hearts.
Open our minds and our lives to enter into relationship with You.
May we find You in all of the Words you have written in this book called the
in Your Name,
Because God is God I bring you before the Master daily in prayer.
I pray that your lives are becoming rich as you read and ponder His Words.
We love you.
Please leave your name and your last initial in the comments below.
If you have had an epiphany today, please feel free to share.
And I will be back again tomorrow.
I hope you will be here too.
Blessing on your day.
Robyn & Biff
Problems? Please contact Biff at email@example.com
Want fewer emails? Or, to unsubscribe?
Feel free at anytime.
Fewer Emails or Unsubscribe
on the subject line of an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RR&BC, LLC©2016 All writing is protected under copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.