read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Jonah Runs From the LORD
Today's Passage: Jonah 1
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting us, LORD.
1. The LORD gave this message to Jonah son of Amittai:
2. "Get up and go to the great city of Nineveh. Announced my judgment against it because I have seen how wicked its people are."
3. But Jonah got up and went in the opposite direction to get away from the LORD. He went down to the port of Joppa, where he found a ship leaving for Tarshish.
4. But the LORD hurled a powerful wind over the sea, causing a violent storm that threatened to break the ship apart.
5. Fearing for their lives, the desperate sailors shouted to their gods for help and threw the cargo overboard to lighten the ship.
But all this time Jonah was sound asleep down in the hold.
6. So the captain went down after him. "How can you sleep at a time like this?" he shouted. "Get up and pray to your god! Maybe he will pay attention to us and spare our lives."
7. Then the crew cast lots to see which of them had offended the gods and caused the terrible storm come down on us?" they demanded. "Who are you? What is your line of work? What country are you from? What is your nationality?"
9. Jonah answered, "I am Hebrew, and I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land."
10. The sailors were terrified when they heard this, for he had already told them he was running away from the LORD. "Oh, why did you do it?" they groaned.
11. And since the storm was getting worse all the time, they asked him, "What should we do to you to stop this storm?"
12. "Throw me into the sea, "Jonah said, "and it will become calm again. I know that this terrible storm is all my fault."
13. Instead, the sailors rowed even harder to get the ship to the land. But the story sea was too violent for them, and they couldn't make it.
14. Then they cried out to the LORD, Jonah's God. "O LORD," they pleaded, "don't make us die for this man's sin. And dont hold us responsible for his death. O LORD, you have sent this storm upon him for your own good reason."
15. Then the sailors picked Jonah up and threw him into the raging sea, and the storm stopped at once!
16. The sailors were awestruck by the LORD"s great power, and they offered him a sacrifice and vowed to serve him.
17. Now the LORD had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.
Jonah 1 NLT
Is this a who, what, when, where, or how passage?
Help us to listen.
Help us to listen to the hard stuff.
Help us to receive.
Help us to go.
In your name,
Please leave your initials.
If God leads you to share please do so in the comments.
And it is what is - leave a period in the comments at least.
This is a place for revelations.
I hope that you are enjoying God in this time of reading.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.