read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Today's Passage: Nehemiah 5:1-19
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
1. About this time some of the men and their wives raised a cry of protest against their fellow Jews.
2. They were saying, "We have such large families. We need more food to survive."
3. Other said, "We have mortgaged our fields, vineyards, and homes to get food during the famine."
4. And others said, "We have had to borrow money on our fields and vineyards to pay our taxes.
5. We belong to the same family as those who are wealthy, and our children are just like theirs. Yet we must sell our children into slavery just to get enough money to live. We have already sold some of our daughters and we are helpless to do anything about it, for our fields and vineyards are already mortgaged to others."
6. When I heard their complaints, I was very angry.
7. After thinking it over, I spoke out against these nobles and officials. I told them, "You are hurting your own relatives by charging interest when they borrow money?" Then I called a public meeting to deal with the problem.
8. At the meeting I said to them, "We are doing all we can to redeem our Jewish relatives who have had to sell themselves to pagan foreigners, but you are selling them back into slavery again. How often must we redeem them?" And they had nothing to say in their defense.
9. Then I pressed further, "What you are doing is not right! Should you not walk in the fear of our God in order to avoid being mocked by enemy nations?
10. I myself, as well as my brothers and my workers, have been lending the people money and grain, but now let us stop this business of charging interest.
11. You must restore their fields, vineyards, olive groves, and homes to them this very day. And repay the interest you charged when you lent them money, grain , new wine, and olive oil."
14. They replied, "We will give back everything and demand nothing more from the people. We will do as you say." Then I called the priests and made the nobles and officials swear to do what they had promised.
13. I shook out the folds of my robe and said, "If you fail to keep your promise, may God shake you like this from your homes and from your property!"
The whole assembly responded, "Amen," and they praised the LORD. And the people did as they had promised.
14. For the entire twelve years that I was governor of Judah ⏤ from the twentieth year to the thirty-second year of the reign of King Artaxerxes - neither I nor my officials drew on our official food allowance.
15. The former governors, in contrast, had laid heavy burdens on the people, demanding a daily ration of food and wine, besides forty pieces of silver. Even their assistants took advantage of the people. But because I feared God, I did not act that way.
16. I also devoted myself to working on the wall and refused to acquire any land. And I required all my servants to spend time working on the wall.
17. I asked for nothing, even though I regularly fed 150 Jewish officials at my table, besides all the visitors from other lands!
18. The provisions I paid for each day included one ox, six choice sheep or goats, and a large number of poultry. And every ten days we needed a large supply of all kinds of wine. Yet I refused to claim the governor's food allowance because the people already carried a heavy burden.
19. Remember, O my God, all that I have done for these people, and bless me for it.
Nehemiah 5:1-19 NLT
God uses characters and jobs to prepare our hearts for truth.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.