read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold
Today's Passage: Luke 1:1-25
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
1. Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us.
2. They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples.
3. Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus,
4. so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught.
Birth of John the Baptist Foretold:
5. When Herod was king of Judea, there was a Jewish priest name Zechariah. He was a member of the priestly order of Abijah, and his wife, Elizabeth, was also from the priestly line of Aaron.
6. Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous in God's eyes, careful to obey all the Lord's commandments and regulations.
7. They had no children because Elizabeth was unable to conceive, and they were both very old.
8. One day Zechariah was serving God in the Temple, for his order was on duty that week.
9. As was the custom of the priests, he was chosen by lot to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and burn incense.
10. While the incense was being burned, a great crowd stood outside, praying.
11. While Zechariah was in the sanctuary, an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing to the right of the incense altar.
12. Zechariah was shaken and overwhelmed with fear when he saw him.
13. But the angel said, "Don't be afraid, Zechariah! God has heard your prayer. Your wife, Elizabeth, will give you a son, and you are to name him John.
14. You will have great joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth,
15. for he will be great in the eyes of the Lord. He must never touch wine or other alcoholic drinks. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even before his birth.
16. And he will turn many Israelites to the Lord their God.
17. He will be a man with the spirit and power of Elijah. He will prepare the people for the coming of the Lord. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and he will cause those who are rebellious to accept the wisdom of the godly."
18. Zechariah said to the angel, "How can I be sure this will happen? I'm an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years."
19. Then the angel said, " I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news!
20. But now since you didn't believe what I said, you will be silent and unable to speak until the child is born. For my words will certainly be fulfilled at the proper time."
21. Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah to come out of the sanctuary, wondering why he was taking so long.
22. When he finally did come out, he couldn't speak to them. Then they realized from his gestures and his silence that he must have seen a vision in the sanctuary.
23. When Zechariah's week of service in the Temple was over, he returned home.
24. Soon afterward his wife, Elizabeth, became pregnant and went into seclusion for five months.
25. "How kind the Lord is!" she exclaimed "He has taken away my disgrace of having no children."
Luke 1:1-25 NLT
Foreshadowing, Promises, and/or Fulfillment of Promises
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.