read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Birth of John the Baptist and Zechariah's Prophecy
Today's Passage: Luke 1: 57-80
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
The Birth of John the Baptist
57. When it was time for Elizabeth's baby to be born, she gave birth to a son.
58. And when her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had been very merciful to her, everyone rejoiced with her.
59. When the baby was eight days old, they all came for the circumcision ceremony. They wanted to name him Zechariah, after his father.
60. But Elizabeth said, "No! His name is John!"
61. "What?" they exclaimed. "There is no one in all your family by that name."
62. So they used gestures to ask the baby's father what he wanted to name him.
63. He motioned for a writing tablet, and to everyone's surprise he wrote, "His name is John."
64 Instantly Zechariah could speak again, and he began praising God.
65. Awe fell upon the whole neighborhood, and the news of what had happened spread throughout the Judean hills.
66. Everyone who heard about it reflected on these events and asked, "What will this child turn out to be?" For the hand of the Lord was surely upon him in a special way.
67. Then his father, Zechariah, was filled with the Holy Spirit and gave this prophecy:
68. "Praise the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has visited and redeemed his people.
69. He has sent us a mighty Savior from the royal line of his servant David,
70. just as he promised through his holy prophets long ago.
71. Now we will be saved from our enemies and from all who hate us.
72. He has been merciful to our ancestors by remembering his sacred covenant ⏤
73. the covenant he swore with an oath to our ancestor Abraham.
74. We have been rescued from our enemies so we can serve God without fear,
75. in holiness and righteousness for as long as we live.
76. "And you, my little son, will be called the prophet of the Most High,
because you will prepare the way for the Lord.
77. You will tell his people how to find salvation through forgiveness of their sins.
78. Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
79. to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace."
80. John grew up and became strong in spirit. And he lived in the wilderness until he began his public ministry to Israel.
Luke 1:57-80 NLT
History - Oh wow, that is where it comes from.
Again, I would like to emphasize, simple acts of meditation are not so much difficult, as uncomfortable.
God wants you to know how His story happened.
How He created the earth, made his children, and how traditions became interwoven into his family.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.