read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Preaching of John the Baptizer
Today's Passage: Matthew 3:1-17
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
John the Baptist prepares the Way
1. In those days John the Baptist came to the Judean wilderness and began preaching. His message was,
2. "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."
3. The prophet Isaiah was speaking about John when he said,
"He is a voice shouting in the wilderness,
'Prepare the way for the LORD'S coming!
Clear the road for him!'"
4. John's clothes were woven from coarse camel hair, and he wore a leather belt around his waist. For food he ate locusts and wild honey.
5. People from Jerusalem and from all of Judea and all over the Jordan Valley went out to see and hear John.
6. And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River.
7. But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize, he denounced them. "You brood of snakes!" he exclaimed. "Who warned you to flee God's coming wrath?
8. Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God.
9. Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendants of Abraham from these very stones.
10. Even now the ax of God's judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chipped down and thrown into the fire.
11. "I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am⏤so much greater that I'm not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
12. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire"
The Baptism of Jesus
13. Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John.
14. But John tried to talk him out of it. "I am the one who needs to be baptized by you," he said, "so why are you coming to me?"
15. But Jesus said, "It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires." So John agreed to baptize him.
16. After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him.
17. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy."
Matthew 3:1-17 NLT
3rd strategy for familiar passages.
Read the passage from Last to First!
Sometimes we have read a passage of Scripture so many times we can't see it with new eyes.
How can we change the passage without changing the meaning?
What would we see if we take a passage and begin with the last verse and read the verses from Chapter 3.
For example: Chapter 3:17-1.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.