read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Adonijah Claims the Throne
Today's Passage: 1 Kings 1:5-27
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
5. About that time David's son Adonijah, whose mother was Haggith, began boasting, "I will make myself king." So he provided himself with chariots and charioteers and recruited fifty men to run in front of him.
6. Now his father, King David, had never disciplined him at any time, even by asking, "Why are you doing that?
Adonijah had been born next after Absalom, and he was very handsome.
7 Adonijah took Joab son of Zeruiah and Abiathar the priest into his confidence, and they agreed to help him become king.
8. But Zadok the priest, Benaiah son of Jehoiada, Nathan the prophet, Shimei, Rei, and David's personal body guard refused to support Adonijah.
9. Adonijah went to the Stone of Zoheleth near the spring of En-rogel, where he sacrificed sheep, cattle, and fattened calves. He invited all his brothers ⏤the other sons of King David ⏤ and all the royal officials of Judah.
10. But he did not invite Nathan the prophet of Benaiah or the king's bodyguard or his brother Solomon.
11. Then Nathan went to Bathsheba, Solomon's mother, and asked her, "Haven't you heard that Haggith's son, Adonijah, his made himself king, and our lord David doesn't even know about it?
12. If you want to save your own life and the life of your son Solomon, follow my advice,
13. Go at once to King David and say to him, 'My lord the king, didn't you make a vow and say to me, "Your son Solomon will surely be the next king and will sit on my throne?'"
Why then has Adonijah become king?'
14. And while you are still talking with him, I will come and confirm everything you have said."
15. So Bathsheba went into the king's bedroom. (He was very old now, and Abishag was taking care of him."
16. Bathsheba bowed down before the king.
"What can I do for you?" he asked her.
17. She replied, "My lord, you made a vow before the LORD your God when you said to me, 'Your son Solomon will surely be the next king and will sit on my throne'
18. But instead, Adonijah has made himself king, and my lord the king does not even know about it.
19. He has sacrificed many cattle, fattened calves, and sheep, and he has invited all the king's sons to attend the celebration. He also invited Abiathar the priest and Joab, the commander of the army. But he did not invite your servant Solomon.
20. And now, my lord the king, all Israel is waiting for you to announce who will become king after you.
21. If you do not act, my son Solomon and I will be treated as criminals as soon as my lord the king has died."
22. While she was still speaking with the king, Nathan the prophet arrived.
23. The king's officials told him, "Nathan the prophet is here to see you."
Nathan went in and bowed before the king with his face to the ground.
24. "Nathan asked, "My lord the king have you decided that Adonijah will be the next king and that he will sit on your throne?
25. Today he has sacrificed many cattle, fattened calves, and sheep, and he has invited all the king's sons to attend the celebration. He also invited the commanders of the army and Abiathar the priest. They are feasting and drinking with him and shouting, 'Long live King Adonijah!'
26. But he did not invite me or Zadok the priest of Benaiah or your servant Solomon.
22. Has my lord the king really done this without letting any of his officials know who should be the next king?"
1 Kings 1:5-27 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.