read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Today's Passage: 1 Kings 2:34-46
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
A reminder 1 Kings 2:13-33 read April 28, 2017:
[Bathsheba, Solomon's mother, was asked by Adonijah to make a request to Solomon for the hand of Abishag in marriage, the girl from Shunem. This request resulted in the death of Adonijah (Solomon's brother that had tried to take over the throne), Abiather (the priest who had helped him) was sent back to his home in Anathoth, and deposed him as priest (fulfilling the prophecy concerning Eli the priest's descendants) and Joab heard about all of this and ran to the sacred tent and grabbed the horns refusing to let go except under death. All of this happened because of Adonijah's rebellion.]
We pick the story up here:
34. So Benaiah son of Jehoiada returned to the sacred tent and killed Joab, and he was buried at his home in the wilderness.
35. Then the king appointed Benaiah to command the army in place of Joab, and he installed Zadok the priest to take the place of Abiathar.
36. The king then sent for Shimei and told him, "Build a house here in Jerusalem and live there. But don't step outside the city to go anywhere else.
37. On the day you so much as cross the Kidron Valley, you will surely die; and your blood will be on your own head."
38. Shimei replied, "Your sentence is fair; I will do whatever my lord the king commands," So Shimei lived in Jerusalem for a long time.
39. But three years later two of Shimei's slaves ran away to King Achish son of Maacah of Gath. When Shimei learned where they were,
40. he saddled his donkey and went to Gath to search for them. When he found them, he brought them back to Jerusalem.
41. Solomon heard that Shimei had left Jerusalem and had gone to Gath and returned.
42. So the king sent for Shimei and demanded, "Didn't I make you swear by the LORD and warn you not to go anywhere else or you would surely die? And you replied, 'The sentence is fair; I will do as you say.'
43. Then why haven't you kept your oath to the LORD and obeyed my command?"
44. The king also said to Shimei, "You certainly remember all the wicked things you did to my father, David. May the LORD now bring that evil on your own head.
45. But may I, King Solomon, receive the LORD'S blessings , and may one of David's descendants always sit on this throne in the presence of the LORD."
46. Then, at the king's command, Benaiah son of Jehoiada took Shimei outside and killed him.
So the kingdom was now firmly in Solomon's grip.
2 Kings 2:34-46
God uses story to prepare our hearts for truth.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.