read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Solomon Asks for Wisdom
Today's Passage: 1 Kings 3:1-15
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
1. Solomon made an alliance with Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, and married one of his daughters. He brought her to live in the City of David until he could finish building his palace and the Temple of the LORD and the wall around the city.
2. At that time the people of Israel sacrificed their offerings at local places of worship, for a temple honoring the name of the LORD had not yet been built.
3. Solomon loved the LORD and followed all the decrees of his father, David, except that Solomon, too, offered sacrifices and burned incense at the local places of worship.
4. The most important of these places of worship was at Gibeon, so the king went there and sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings.
5. That night the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, "What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!"
6. Solomon replied, "You showed faithful love to your servant my father, David, because he was honest and true and faithful to you. And you have continued your faithful love to him today by giving him a son to sit on his throne.
7. "Now, O LORD my God, you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn't know his way around.
8. And here I am in the midst of your own chosen people, a nation so great and numerous they cannot be counted!
9. Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?"
10. The LORD was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom.
11. So God replied, "Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies ⏤
12. I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have!
13. And I will also give you what you did not ask for ⏤ riches and fame! No other kind in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life!
14. And if you follow me and obey my decrees and my commands as your father, David, did, I will give you a long life."
15. Then Solomon woke up and realized it had been a dream. He returned to Jerusalem and stood before the Ark of the LORD'S Covenant, where he sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings. Then he invited all his officials to a great banquet.
1 Kings 3:1-15 NLT
God uses characters and jobs to prepare our hearts for truth.
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.