read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Paul Preaches in Athens
Today's Passage: Acts 17:16-34
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
God uses characters and jobs to prepare our hearts for truth.
16. While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was deeply troubled by all the idols he saw everywhere in the city.
17. He went to the synagogue to reason with the Jews and the God-fearing Gentiles, and he spoke daily in the public square to all who happened to be there.
18. He also had a debate with some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers. When he told them about Jesus and his resurrection, they said, "What's this babbler trying to say with these strange ideas he's picked up?" Others said, "He seems to be preaching about some foreign gods."
19. Then they took him to the high council of the city. "Come and tell us about this new teaching," they said.
20. "You are saying some rather strange things, and we want to know what it's all about."
21. (It should be explained that all the Athenians as well as the foreigners in Athens seemed to spend all their time discussing the latest ideas."
22. So Paul, standing before the council, addressed them as follows: "Men of Athens, I notice that you are very religious in every way,
23. for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your altars had this inscription on it: 'To an Unknown God.' This God, whom you worship without knowing, is the one I'm telling you about.
24. "He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn't live in manmade temples,
25. and human hands can't serve his needs ⏤ for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything and he satisfies every need.
26. From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand when they should rise and fail, and he determined their boundaries.
27. "His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him ⏤ though he is not far from any one of us.
28. For in him we live and move and exist. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'
29. And since this is true, we shouldn't think of God as an idol designed by craftsmen from gold or silver or stone.
30. "God overlooked people's ignorance about these things in earlier times, but now he commands everyone everywhere to repent of their sins and turn to him.
31. For he has set a day for judging the world and justice by the man he has appointed, and he proved to everyone who this is by raising him from the dead."
32. When they heard Paul speak about the resurrection of the dead, some laughed in contempt, but others said, "We want to hear more about this later."
33. That ended Paul's discussion with them,
34. but some joined him and became believers. Among them were Dionysius, a member of the council, a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
Acts 17:16-34 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.