read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
John the Baptist Preaches
Today's Passage: Luke 3:1-20
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
Cause and Effect
1. It was now the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius, the Roman emperor. Pontius Pilate was governor over Judea; Herod Antipas was ruler over Galilee; his brother Philip was ruler over Iturea and Traconitis; Lysanias was ruler over Abilene.
2. Annas and Caiaphas were the high priests. At this time a message from God came to John son of Zechariah, who was living in the wilderness.
3. Then John went from place to place on both sides of the Jordan River, preaching that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven.
4. Isaiah had spoken of John when he said,
"He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the LORD'S coming! Clear the road for him!
5. The valleys will be filled, and the mountains and hills made level. The curves will be straightened, and the rough places made smooth.
6. And then all people will see the salvation sent from God.'"
7. When the crowds came to John for baptism, he said, "You brood of snakes! Who warned you to flee God's coming wrath?
8. Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.' That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.
9. Even now the ax of God's judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire."
10. The crowds asked, "What should we do?"
11. John replied, "If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry"
12. Even corrupt tax collectors came to be baptized and asked, "Teacher, what should we do?"
13. He replied, "Collect no more taxes than the government requires."
14. "What should we do?" asked some soldiers.
John replied, "Don't extort money or make false accusations. And be content with your pay."
15. Everyone was expecting the Messiah to come soon, and they were eager to know whether John might be the Messiah.
16. John answered their questions by saying, "I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am ⏤ so much greater that I'm not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
17. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire."
18. John used many such warnings as he announced the Good News to the people.
19. John also publicly criticized Herod Antipas, the ruler of Galilee, for marrying Herodias, his brother's wife , and for many other wrongs he had done.
20. So Herod put John in prison, adding this sin to his many others.
Luke 3:1-20 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.