read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Queen Vashti Deposed
1. Today's passage: Esther 1:10-21
I encourage you to read from your own bible - Your bible will become your best friend.
Also, you might want to find the NASB version and more here: Bible Gateway
Or, you may read below for the New Living Testament NLT
10. On the seventh day of the feast, when King Xerxes was in high spirits because of the wine, he told the seven eunuchs who attended him ⎯Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas ⎯
11. to bring Queen Vashti to him with the royal crown on her head. He wanted the nobles and all the other men to gaze on her beauty, for she was a very beautiful woman.
12. But when they conveyed the king's order to Queen Vashti, she refused to come. This made the king furious, and he burned with anger.
13. He immediately consulted with his wise advisers, who knew all the Persian laws and customs, for he always asked their advice.
14. The names of these men were Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena, and Memucan ⎯ seven nobles of Persia and Media. They met with the king regularly and held the highest positions in the empire.
15. "What must be done to Queen Vashti?" the king demanded. "What penalty does the law provide for a queen who refuses to obey the king's orders, properly sent through his eunuchs?"
16. Memucan answered the king and his nobles, "Queen Vashti has wronged not only the king but also every noble and citizen throughout your empire.
17. Women everywhere will begin to despise their husbands when they learn Queen Vashti has refused to appear before the king.
18. Before this day is out, the wives of all the king's nobles throughout Persia and Media will hear what the queen did and will start treating their husbands the same way. There will be no end to their contempt and anger.
19. "So if it please the king, we suggest that you issue a written decree, a law of the Persians and Medes that cannot be revoked. It should order that Queen Vashti be forever banished from the presence of King Xerxes, and that the king should choose another queen more worthy than she.
20. When this decree is published throughout the king's vast empire, husbands everywhere, whatever their rank, will receive proper respect from their wives!"
21. The king and his nobles thought this made good sense, so he followed Memucan's counsel.
22. He sent letters to all parts of the empire to each province in its own script and language, proclaiming that every man should be the ruler of his own home and should say whatever he pleases.
I feel led to go through the entire book of Esther.
Don't be too worried. It is only 10 chapters long.
And we will break it up into bite sized pieces.
But since we are following God on this schedule,
I believe we will all benefit.
3. What do you think about King Xerxes so far?
And Queen Vashti?
What do you think about her?
Why might God put this in His Word?
What strategy, if any, would you consider to help you meditate on these verses?
4. Thank you for your presence here in this time.
I hope that you will return daily through this book of Esther.
I hesitated to do an entire book, day by day,
even though it is only 10 chapters.
But, if I am going to be honorable to what verses He has laid out before me,
I cannot make other decisions, no matter the response.
This I do know. God's word does not go out void.
I know that it will bring fruit. God says so.
Thank you for your name and last initial below.
Share what God leads you to share. We will all be blessed.
Problems? Please contact Biff at email@example.com
Feel free at anytime. Simply write Unsubscribe on the subject line of an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RR&BC, LLC©2016 All writing is protected under copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.