read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Beautiful, Brave, Frightened yet Faithful, and Obedient
1. Today's Passage: Esther 4:1-16
Are you getting to know your bible? I hope so. :-)
Or, if it is better for you find the chapter NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the chapter below from the New Living Testament (NLT).
1. When Mordecai learned about all that had been done, he tore his clothes, put on burlap and ashes, and went out into the city, crying with a loud and bitter wail.
2. He went as far as the gate of the palace for no one was allowed to enter the palace gate while wearing clothes of mourning.
3. And as news of the king's decree reached all the provinces there was great mourning among the Jews. They fasted, wept, and wailed, and many people lay in burlap and ashes.
4. When Queen Esther's maids and eunuchs came and told her about Mordecai she was deeply distressed. She sent clothing to him to replace the burlap, but he refused it.
5. Then Esther sent for Hathach one of the king's eunuchs who had been appointed as her attendant. She ordered him to go to Mordecai and find out what was troubling him and why he was in mourning.
6. So Hathach went out to Mordecai in the square in front of the palace gate.
7. Mordecai told him the whole story, including the exact amount of money Haman had promised to pay into the royal treasure for the destruction of the Jews.
8. Mordecai gave Hathach a copy of the decree issued in Susa that called for the death of all Jews. He asked Hathach to show it to Esther and explain the situation to her. He also asked Hathach to direct her to go to the king to beg for mercy and plead for her people.
9. So Hathach returned to Esther with Mordecai's message.
10. Then Esther told Hathach to go back and relay this message to Mordecai:
11. "All the king's officials and even the people in the provinces know that anyone who appears before the king in his inner court without being invited is doomed to die unless the king holds out his gold scepter. And the king has not called for me to come to him for thirty days."
12. So Hathach gave Esther's message to Mordecai.
13. Mordecai sent this reply to Esther:
"Don't think for a moment that because you're in the palace you will escape when all other Jews are killed.
14. If you keep quiet at a time like this, deliverance and relief for the Jews will arise from some other place, but you and your relatives will die. Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for just such a time as this?"
15. Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai:
16. "Go and gather together all the Jews of Susa and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will do the same. And then, though it is against the law, I will go in to see the king. If I must die, I must die."
17. So Mordecai went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him.
Esther 4:1-16 NLT
2. This is one of my favorite sections of scripture!
(Of course, that is not the last time you will read that
exclamation from certain places in scripture -
I must admit I have many of them.)
But, to realize the instruction God is giving us on how to handle
a difficult situation.
Poor Esther. She's really stuck between a rock and a hard place!
3. Pray that God give you insight as you come to these verses for reflection.
What is God showing you?
I encourage you to look over the Reading and Reflection Strategies Page
What strategy would you find most helpful?
Or, would you find reading and rereading this section of this powerful story?
Are you wondering what will happen next?
I always do.
What are some of the possibilities of the outcome of this story?
4. Please leave your name and your final initial.
We come before you to ask for clarity
and new insights from this chapter of Esther.
Please open our hearts and reveal Yourself.
In Your Holy Name, Jehoshua
Problems? Please contact Biff at email@example.com
Feel free at anytime. Simply write Unsubscribe on the subject line of an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RR&BC, LLC©2016 All writing is protected under copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.