read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Adultery Test
Today's Passage: Numbers 5:11-31
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
11. And the LORD said to Moses,
12. "Give the following instructions to the people of Israel.
"Suppose a man's wife goes astray, and she is unfaithful to her husband
13. and has sex with another man, but neither her husband nor anyone else knows about it. She has defiled herself, even though there was no witness and she was not caught in the act.
14. If her husband becomes jealous and is suspicious of his wife and needs to know whether or not she has defiled herself,
15 the husband must bring his wife to the priest. He must also bring an offering of two quarts of barley flour to be presented on her behalf. Do not mix it with olive oil or frankincense, for it is jealousy offering — an offering to prove whether or not she is guilty.
16. "The priest will then present her to stand trial before the LORD.
17. He must take some holy water in a clay jar and pour into it dust he has taken from the Tabernacle floor.
18. When the priest has presented the woman before the LORD, he must unbind her hair and place in her hands the offering of proof — the jealousy offering to determine whether her husband's suspicions are justified. The priest will stand before her, holding the jar of bitter water that brings a curse to those who are guilty.
19. The priest will then put the woman under oath and say to her, 'If no other man has had sex with you, and you have not gone astray and defiled yourself while under your husband's authority, may you be immune from the effects of this bitter water that brings on the curse.
20. But if you have gone astray by being unfaithful to your husband, and have defiled yourself by having sex with another man —'
21. "At this point the priest must put the woman under oath by saying, 'May the people know that the LORD'S curse is upon you when he makes you infertile, causing your womb to shrivel and your abdomen to swell.
22. Now may this water that brings the curse enter your body and cause your abdomen to swell and your womb to shrivel.' And the woman will be required to say, 'Yes, let it be so.'
23. And the priest will write these curses on a piece of leather and wash them off into the bitter water.
24. He will make the woman drink the bitter water that brings on the curse. When the water enters her body, it will cause bitter suffering if she is guilty.
25. "The priest will take the jealousy offering from the woman's hand, lift it up before the LORD, and carry it to the altar, and he will require the woman to drink the water.
27. If she has defiled herself by being unfaithful to her husband, the water that brings on the curse will cause bitter suffering. Her abdomen will swell and her womb will shrink, and her name will become a curse among her people.
28. But if she has not defiled herself and is pure, then she will be unharmed and will still be able to have children.
29. "This is the ritual law for dealing with suspicion. If a woman goes astray and defiles herself while under her husband's authority,
30. or if a man becomes jealous and is suspicious that this wife has been unfaithful, the husband must present his wife before the LORD, and the priest will apply this entire ritual law to her.
31. The husband will be innocent of any guilt in this matter, but his wife will be held accountable for her sin."
Numbers 5:11-31 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.