read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Jews Destroy their Enemies
1. Today's Passage: Esther 9:1-19
Get to know your bible.
Or find the chapter NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or for your convenience I have typed the chapter below from the New Living Testament (NLT).
1. So on March 7 the two decrees of the king were put into effect. On that day, the enemies of the Jews had hoped to overpower them, but quite the opposite happened. It was the Jews who overpowered their enemies.
2. The Jews gathered in their cities throughout all the king's provinces to attack anyone who tried to harm them. But no one could make a stand against them, for everyone was afraid of them.
3. And all the nobles of the provinces, the highest officers, the governors, and the royal officials helped the Jews for fear of Mordecai.
4. For Mordecai had been promoted in the king's palace, and his fame spread throughout all the provinces as he became more and more powerful.
5. So the Jews went ahead on the appointed day and struck down their enemies with the sword. They killed and annihilated their enemies and did as they pleased with those who hated them.
6. In the fortress of Susa itself, the Jews killed 500 men.
7. They also killed Parshandath, Dalphon, Aspatha,
8. Poratha, Adalia, Aridatha,
9. Parmashta, Airsai, Aridai, and Vaizatha⎯
10. the ten sons of Haman son of Hammedatha, the enemy of the Jews. But they did not take any plunder.
11. That very day, when the king was informed of the number of people killed in the fortress of Susa,
12. he called for Queen Esther. He said, "The Jews have killed 500 men in the fortress of Susa alone, as well as Haman's ten sons. If they have done that here, what has happened in the rest of the province? But now, what more do you want? It will be granted to you; tell me and I will do it."
13. Esther responded, "If it please the king, give the Jews in Susa permission to do again tomorrow as they have done today, and let the bodies of Haman's ten sons be impaled on a pole."
14. So the king agreed, and the decree was announced in Susa. And they impaled the bodies of Haman's ten sons.
15. Then the Jews at Susa gathered together on March 8 and killed 300 more men and again they took no plunder.
16. Meanwhile, the other Jews throughout the king's provinces had gathered together to defend their lives. They gained relief from all their enemies, killing 75,000 of those who hated them. But they did not take any plunder.
17. This was done throughout the provinces on March 7, and on March 8 they rested, celebrating their victory with a day of feasting and gladness.
18. (The Jews at Susa killed their enemies on March 7 and again on March 8, then rested on March 9, making that their day of feasting and gladness.)
19. So to this day, rural Jews living in remote villages celebrate an annual festival and holiday on the appointed day in late winder, when they rejoice and send gifts of food to each other.
Esther 9:1-19 NLT
2. Why do you think that God allows these gruesome facts to be in His word?
3. I encourage you to try Lectio Divina on this section of Esther -
the 1st Strategy in Reading/Reflecting Strategies
May we be aware of the importance of your records of war, enemies, and victory for your chosen people, the Israelites.
May you embed your thoughts into ours.
We love you
Desire to serve you
Know that our Hope is in You.
In Jehoshua's name
Problems? Email Biff at email@example.com
Unsubscribe? Feel free at anytime.
Simply write Unsubscribe on the subject line of an email and send it to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org -
You money will be reimbursed as to our initial agreement.
RR&BC,LLC©2016 All writing is protected by copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.