read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Capture of the Ark Provokes God
Today's Passage: 1 Samuel 5:1-12
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
1. After the Philistines captured the Ark of God, they took it from the battleground at Ebenezer to the town of Ashdod.
2. They carried the Ark of God into the temple of Dagon and placed it beside an idol of Dagon.
3. But when the citizens of Ashdod went to see it the next morning, Dagon had fallen with face to ground in front of the Ark of the LORD! So they took Dagon and put him in his place again.
4. But the next morning the same thing happened ⏤ Dagon had fallen face down before the Ark of the LORD again. This time his head and hands had broken off and were lying in the doorway. Only the trunk of his body was left intact.
5. That is why to this day neither the priests of Dagon nor anyone who enters the temple of Dagon in Ashdod will step on its threshold.
6. Then the LORD'S heavy hand struck the people of Ashdod and the nearby villages with a plague of tumors.
7. When the people realized what was happening, they cried out, "We can't keep the Ark of the God of Israel here any longer! He is against us! We will all be destroyed along with Dagon, our god."
8. So they called together the rulers of the Philistine towns and asked, "What should we do with the Ark of the God of Israel?"
The rulers discussed it and replied, "Move it to the town of Gath." So they moved the Ark of the God of Israel to Gath.
9. But when the Ark arrived at Gath, the LORD'S heavy hand fell on its men, young and old; he struck them with a plague of tumors, and there was a great panic.
10. So they sent the Ark of God to the town of Ekron, but when the people of Ekron say it coming they cried out, "They are bringing the Ark of the God of Israel here to kill us, too!"
11. The people summoned the Philistine rulers again and begged them, "Please send the Ark of the God of Israel back to its own country, or it will kill us all." For the deadly plague from God had already begun, and great fear was sweeping across the town.
12. Those who didn't die were afflicted with tumors; and the cry from the town rose to heaven.
1 Samuel 5:1-12 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.