read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Word of God encourages us to record and celebrate days.
1. Today's Passage: Esther 9:20-32
Are you getting to know your bible?
Or if it is better for you find the chapter NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or for your convenience I have typed the chapter below from the New Living Testament (NLT).
20. Mordecai recorded these events and sent letters to the Jews near and far, throughout all the provinces of King Xerxes,
21. calling on them to celebrate an annual festival on these two days.
22. He told them to celebrate these days with feasting and gladness and by giving gifts of food to each other and presents to the poor. This would commemorate a time when the Jews gained relief from their enemies, when their sorrow was turned into gladness and their mourning into joy.
23. So the Jews accepted Mordecai's proposal and adopted this annual custom.
24. Haman son of Hammedatha the Agagite, the enemy of the Jews, had plotted to crush and destroy them on the date determined by casting lots (the lots were called purim).
25. But when Esther came before the king, he issued a decree causing Haman's evil plot to backfire, and Haman's evil plot to backfire, and Haman and his sons were impaled on a sharpened pole.
26. That was why this celebration is called Purim, because it is the ancient word for casting lots.
So because of Mordecai's letter and because of what they had experienced,
27. the Jews throughout the realm agreed to inaugurate this tradition and to pass it on to their descendants and to all who became Jews. They declared they would never fail to celebrate these two prescribed days at the appointed time each year.
28. These days would be remembered and kept from generation to generation and celebrated by every family throughout the provinces and cities of the empire. This Festival of Purim would never cease to be celebrated among the Jews, nor would the memory of what happened ever die out among their descendants.
29. Then Queen Esther, the daughter of Abihail, along with Mordecai the Jew, wrote another letter putting the queen's full authority behind Mordecai's letter to establish the Festival of Purim.
30. Letters wishing peace and security were sent to the Jews throughout the 127 provinces of the empire of Xerxes.
31. These letters established the Festival of Purim⎯an annual celebration of these days at the appointed time, decreed by both Mordecai the Jew and Queen Esther. (The people decided to observe this festival, just as they had decided for themselves and their descendants to establish the times of fasting and mourning.)
32. So the command of Esther confirmed the practices of Purim, and it was all written down in the records.
Esther 9: 20-32 NLT
2. Does your family have a traditional way to celebrate?
A certain day?
A certain memory?
3. Consider the 2nd Strategy, Meditation in Worship.
The passage above is not an easy one.
I encourage you to ask yourself the questions in the 2nd Strategy, to see if any apply.
4. Almighty God,
Creator and keeper of heaven and earth.
You have given each of us breath for life and You alone have the power to stop that life.
We know that Your plan for all of your creation is good.
Even when we don't understand it. Allow us to enter into the peace it is true.
Give us wisdom to understand as much as we are able.
Thank you for traditions.
Thank you for celebrations after going through hard times.
Give us wisdom, Father, God Almighty, El Shaddai!
In Your sweet name Jehoshua,
Problems? Please contact Biff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free at anytime. Simply write Unsubscribe on the subject line of an email: email@example.com
RR&BC, LLC©2016 All writing is protected under copyright laws.
NO COPYING ALLOWED on private membership page.
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.