read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Death of John the Baptist
Today's Passage: Mark 6:14-29
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
God uses characters and jobs to prepare our hearts for truth.
14. Herod Antipas, the king, soon heard about Jesus, because everyone was talking about him. Some were saying. "This must be John the Baptist raised from the dead. That is why he can do such miracles."
15. Others said, "He's the prophet Elijah." Still others said, "He's a prophet like the other great prophets of the past."
16. When Herod heard about Jesus, he said, "John, the man I beheaded, has come back from the dead."
17. For Herod had sent soldiers to arrest and imprison John as a favor to Herodias. She had been his brother Philip's wife, but Herod had married her.
18. John had been telling Herod, "It is against God's law for you to marry your brother's wife."
19. So Herodias bore a grudge against John and wanted to kill him. But without Herod's approval she was powerless,
20. for Herod respected John; and knowing that he was a good and holy man, he protected him. Herod was greatly disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so, he liked to listen to him.
21. Herodias' chance finally came on Herod's birthday. He gave a party for his high government officials, army officers, and the leading citizens of Galilee.
22. Then his daughter, also named Herodias, came in and performed a dance that greatly pleased Herod and his guests. "Ask me anything you like," the king said to the girl, "And I will give it to you"
23. He even vowed, "I will give you whatever you ask, up to half my kingdom!"
24. She went out and asked her mother, "What should I ask for?"
Her mother told her, "Ask for the head of John the Baptist!"
25. So the girl hurried back to the king and told him, "I want the head of John the Baptist, right now, on a tray!"
26. "Then the king deeply regretted what he had said; but because of the vows he had made in front of his guests, he couldn't refuse her.
27. So he immediately sent an executioner to the prison to cut off John's head and bring it to him. The soldier beheaded John in the prison,
28. brought his head on a tray, and gave it to the girl, who took it to her mother.
29. When John's disciples heard what had happened, they came to get his body and buried it in a tomb.
Mark 6:14-29 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.