read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Ahijah's Prophecy Against Jeroboam
Today's Passage: 1 Kings 14:1-20
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
Cause and Effect
1. At that time Jeroboam's son Abijah became very sick.
2. So Jeroboam told his wife, "Disguise yourself so that no one will recognize you as my wife. Then go to the prophet Ahijah at Shiloh — the man who told me I would become king.
3. Take him a gift of ten loaves of bread, some cakes, and a jar of honey, and ask him what will happen to the boy."
4. So Jeroboam's wife went to Ahijah's home at Shiloh. He was an old man now and could no longer see.
5 But the LORD had told Ahijah, "Jeroboam's wife will come here, pretending to be someone else. She will ask you about her son, for he is very sick. Give her the answer I give you."
6. So when Ahijah heard her footsteps at the door, he called out, "Come in, wife of Jeroboam! Why are you pretending to be someone else?" Then he told her, "I have bad news for you.
7. Give your husband, Jeroboam, this message from the LORD, the God of Israel: 'I promoted you from the ranks of the common people and made you ruler over my people Israel.
8. I ripped the kingdom away from the family of David and gave it to you. But you have not been like my servant David, who obeyed my commands and followed me with all his heart and always did whatever I wanted.
9. You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made other gods for yourself and have made me furious and your gold calves. And since you have turned your back on me,
10. I will bring disaster on your dynasty and will destroy every one of your male descendants, slave and free alike, anywhere in Israel. I will burn up your royal dynasty as one burns up trash until it is all gone.
11. The members of Jeroboam's family who die in the city will be eaten by dogs, and those who die in the field will be eaten by vultures. I, the LORD, have spoken.' "
12. Then Ahijah said to Jeroboam's wife, "Go on home, and when you enter the city, the child will die.
13. All Israel will mourn for him and bury him. He is the only member of your family who will have a proper burial, for this child is the only good thing that the LORD, the God of Israel, sees in the entire family of Jeroboam.
14 "In addition, the LORD will raise up a king over Israel who will destroy the family of Jeroboam. This will happen today, even now!
15. Then the LORD will shake Israel like a reed whipped about in a stream. He will uproot the people of Israel from this good land that he gave their ancestors and will scatter them beyond the Euphrates River, for they have angered the LORD with the Asherah poles they have set up for worship.
16. He will abandon Israel because Jeroboam sinned and made Israel sin along with him."
17. So Jeroboam's wife returned to Tirzah, and the child died just as she walked through the door of her home.
18. And all Israel buried him and mourned for him, as the LORD had promised through the prophet Ahijah.
19. The rest of the events in Jeroboam's reign, including all his wars and how he ruled, are recorded in the Book of the History of the Kings of Israel.
20. Jeroboam reigned in Israel twenty-two years. When Jeroboam died, his son Nadab became the next king.
1 King 14:1-20 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.