read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
The Widow at Zarephath
Today's Passage: 1 Kings 17:8-24
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
8. Then the LORD said to Elijah,
9. "Go and live in the village of Zarephath, near the city of Sidon. I have instructed a widow there to feed you."
10. So he went to Zarephath. As he arrived at the gates of the village, he saw a widow gathering sticks, and he asked her, "Would you please bring me a little water in a cup?"
11. As she was going to get it, he called to her, "Bring me a bite of bread, too."
12. But she said, "I swear by the LORD your God that I don't have a single piece of bread in the house. And I have only a handful of flour left in the jar and a little cooking oil in the bottom of the jug. I was just gathering sticks to cook this last meal, and then my son and I will die."
13. But Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid! Go ahead and do just what you've said, but make a little bread for me first. Then use what's left to prepare a meal for yourself and your son.
14. For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: There will always be flour and olive oil left in your containers until the time when the LORD sends rain and the crops grow again!"
15. So she did as Elijah said, and she and Elijah and her son continued to eat for many days.
16. There was always enough flour and olive oil left in the containers, just as the LORD had promised through Elijah.
17. Some time later the woman's son became sick. He grew worse and worse, and finally he died.
18. Then she said to Elijah, "O man of God, what have you done to me? Have you come here to point out my sins and kill my son?"
19. But Elijah replied, "Give me your son." And he took the child's body from her arms, carried him up the stairs to the room where he was staying, and laid the body on his bed.
20. Then Elijah cried out to the LORD, "O LORD my God, why have you brought tragedy to this widow who has opened her home to me, causing her son to die?"
21. And he stretched himself out over the child three times and cried out to the LORD, "O LORD my God, please let this child's life return to him."
22. The LORD heard Elijah's prayer, and the life of the child returned, and he revived!
23. Then Elijah brought him down from the upper room and gave him to this mother. "Look!" he said. "Your son is alive!"
24. Then the woman told Elijah, "Now I know for sure that you are a man of God, and that the LORD truly speaks through you."
1 Kings 17:8-24 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.