read & reflect in community©
Daily Meeting Place
Robyn's Bible Reading Strategies Applied
Daily Meeting Place
Jesus and Abraham
Today's Passage: John 8:31-59
Get to know your bible. It will become a good friend.
Or find the passage NASB version on Bible Gateway here.
You can search for other versions there as well. Versions even in foreign languages.
Or, for your convenience I have typed the verses below from the
New Living Testament (NLT).
Thank You for meeting me, LORD.
I welcome you into this place.
Please prepare my heart Jehovah.
Thank you for insight.
31. Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.
32. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
33. "But we are descendants of Abraham," they said. "We have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean, 'You will be set free'?"
34. Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin.
35. A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever.
36. So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.
37. Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham. And yet some of you are trying to kill me because there's no room in your hearts for my message.
38. I am telling you what I saw when I was with my Father. But you are following the advice of your father."
39. "Our father is Abraham!" they declared.
"No," Jesus replied, "for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example.
40. Instead you are trying to kill me because I told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing.
41. No, you are imitating your real father."
They replied, "We aren't illegitimate children! God himself is our true Father."
42. Jesus told them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me.
43. Why can't you understand what I am saying? It's because you can't even hear me!
44. For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.
45. So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don't believe me!
46. Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don't you believe me?
47. Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don't listen because you don't belong to God."
48. The people retorted, "You Samaritan devil! Didn't we say all along that you were possessed by a demon?"
49. "No," Jesus said, "I have no demon in me. For I honor my Father — and you dishonor me.
50. And though I have no wish to glorify myself, God is going to glorify me. He is the true judge.
51. I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!"
52. The people said, "Now we know you are possessed by a demon. Even Abraham and the prophets died, but you say, 'Anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!'
53. Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?
54. Jesus answered, "If I want glory for myself, it doesn't count. But it is my Father who will glorify me. You say, 'He is our God,'
55. but you don't even know him. I know him. If I said otherwise, I would be as great a liar as you! But I do know him and obey him.
56. Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad."
57. The people said, "You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"
58. Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM!"
59. At that point they picked up stones to throw at him. But Jesus was hidden from them and left the Temple.
John 8:31-59 NLT
Thank you for coming today.
Please leave your initials and a comment.
Don't forget to check the box underneath your comment,
so replies will be directed to you.
I pray for you every day.
And I will be back here tomorrow,
I hope I will see you here too.
Robyn & Biff Cox
RR&BC, LLC ©2016
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,copyright©1996,2004.Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved
May God Be Glorified in our Reading and Hiding His Word in our Hearts.
Please remember that this site is on the internet. Anything that you would not want your family, your boss, or your friends to know, please place in a personal private journal and keep them in your own possession.